Why is damped frequency is lower than undamped frequency with viscous damping but larger with structural damping?
June 6, 2022 at 9:58 amFAQParticipant
The 2 forms of damping are really different:
Structural damping enables you to incorporate hysteretic behavior due to internal material friction by specifying a coefficient on the stiffness matrix. In this type of damping, the damping force is proportional to the displacement rather than the velocity as in the other damping options (alpha and beta included).
Vicious damping in the air is much smaller than the damping due to internal material friction but historically only viscous damping was available and we used to put all damping into viscous damping.
Introducing Ansys Electronics Desktop on Ansys Cloud
The Watch & Learn video article provides an overview of cloud computing from Electronics Desktop and details the product licenses and subscriptions to ANSYS Cloud Service that are...
How to Create a Reflector for a Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
This video article demonstrates how to create a reflector for a center high-mounted stop lamp. Optical Part design in Ansys SPEOS enables the design and validation of multiple...
Introducing the GEKO Turbulence Model in Ansys Fluent
The GEKO (GEneralized K-Omega) turbulence model offers a flexible, robust, general-purpose approach to RANS turbulence modeling. Introducing 2 videos: Part 1 provides background information on the model and a...
Postprocessing on Ansys EnSight
This video demonstrates exporting data from Fluent in EnSight Case Gold format, and it reviews the basic postprocessing capabilities of EnSight.
- How can I change the normalization method of the vibration modes from modal analysis?
- Why does the prestress from Static analysis does not add up to the stress in Random Vibration analysis?
- In the results of a modal analysis, how can I define that a frequency is an output parameter ?
- A Shock absorber is represented as spring element with damping constant. Modal analysis is performed using Reduced Damped (QRDAMP) solver. How to perform a Modal super position harmonic or transient analysis further ?
- Why is damped frequency is lower than undamped frequency with viscous damping but larger with structural damping?
- What does the warning “Diagonal of the mass matrix is missing in file” indicate when using RSTMAC command?
- How do I get a frequency response of acceleration in the radial direction of a cylinder?
- In a Modal Analysis of Mechanical, why aren’t the Participation Factors Summary under Solution Information displayed?
- What is mass moment of inertia in Point Mass used for?
- How to solve for harmonic response at a specific frequency in Workbench?