Why does the ANSYS Fluent adjoint gradient-based optimizer reports all calculations to be converged but checking the flow residuals of the optimal design shows that only one iteration is calculated for each design point?
March 17, 2023 at 8:59 amFAQParticipant
It is possible that after a design change the flow results don’t change much. The residuals may need more than one iteration to rise above the convergence criteria, therefore Fluent detects the solution to be converged immediately. This triggers the optimizer to continue with the next adjoint calculation prematurely. The only way to detect this behavior is to check the transcript very carefully or look at a cas/dat pair that is either saved as optimal solution or by the autosave feature of the optimizer. To avoid this behavior, increase the reporting interval on the ‘run calculation’ task page to a value larger than 1, e.g. 5. This reduces the residual output to the console and transcripts for the flow calculation but it also limits the convergence check to the specified interval. Keywords: ANSYS Fluent; adjoint; gradient-based optimizer; converge; convergence
Introducing Ansys Electronics Desktop on Ansys Cloud
The Watch & Learn video article provides an overview of cloud computing from Electronics Desktop and details the product licenses and subscriptions to ANSYS Cloud Service that are...
How to Create a Reflector for a Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
This video article demonstrates how to create a reflector for a center high-mounted stop lamp. Optical Part design in Ansys SPEOS enables the design and validation of multiple...
Introducing the GEKO Turbulence Model in Ansys Fluent
The GEKO (GEneralized K-Omega) turbulence model offers a flexible, robust, general-purpose approach to RANS turbulence modeling. Introducing 2 videos: Part 1 provides background information on the model and a...
Postprocessing on Ansys EnSight
This video demonstrates exporting data from Fluent in EnSight Case Gold format, and it reviews the basic postprocessing capabilities of EnSight.
- How can I create a Cell Register from a Cell Zone?
- Left-handed faces troubleshooting
- How to overcome the model information incompatible with incoming mesh error?
- ANSYS Fluent: Introduction to the GEKO Turbulence Model Part I
- Delete or Deactivate Zone in Fluent
- ANSYS System Coupling: Two Way Fluid Structure Interaction – Part 1
- How to create and execute a FLUENT journal file?
- Running Python Script from Workbench
- What are the requirements for an axisymmetric analysis?
- How to export plots automatically during a Fluent simulation using execute commands?