QUESTION: A user had a simple drop test analysis using ANSYS/LS-DYNA (either Rev 9.0 or 10.0). They only intended to test the technical capability that allow to switch parts from deformable to rigid and back to deformable during an analysis. – 1st step : drop test up to 0.01 sec (new analysis) – 2nd step : the structure is switched from deformable to rigid from t=0.01 to t=0.02 s (first restart) – 3rd step : the structure is switched back to deformable (second restart) from t=0.02 to t=0.04 s. Problem : The time-step at the end of step 2 (first restart) which is 10-5 s (as requested by user) is not recomputed by LS-DYNA during the 3rd step when the structure is switched back to deformable. Its value should normally be in accordance with the Courant condition for deformable solids (roughly 10-6) and not 10-5 s. It appears that the source of the problem is that the LS-DYNA “.r” restart file that has been automatically generated by the ANSYS interface for the 2rd step contains part deletion commands that have never been requested by the user. If you run the analysis using a corrected “.r” file (i.e. without part deletion commands) it works fine.
May 15, 2023 at 8:32 amSolutionParticipant
Please refer to the attachment(s) to access the Solution.
Introducing Ansys Electronics Desktop on Ansys Cloud
The Watch & Learn video article provides an overview of cloud computing from Electronics Desktop and details the product licenses and subscriptions to ANSYS Cloud Service that are...
How to Create a Reflector for a Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
This video article demonstrates how to create a reflector for a center high-mounted stop lamp. Optical Part design in Ansys SPEOS enables the design and validation of multiple...
Introducing the GEKO Turbulence Model in Ansys Fluent
The GEKO (GEneralized K-Omega) turbulence model offers a flexible, robust, general-purpose approach to RANS turbulence modeling. Introducing 2 videos: Part 1 provides background information on the model and a...
Postprocessing on Ansys EnSight
This video demonstrates exporting data from Fluent in EnSight Case Gold format, and it reviews the basic postprocessing capabilities of EnSight.
- Why is damped frequency is lower than undamped frequency with viscous damping but larger with structural damping?
- How can I specify acceleration at a node? Could I use the ‘big mass method’?
- How can I change the normalization method of the vibration modes from modal analysis?
- Why does the prestress from Static analysis does not add up to the stress in Random Vibration analysis?
- ANSYS Mechanical: Vibration Housing Noise
- In a Modal Analysis of Mechanical, why aren’t the Participation Factors Summary under Solution Information displayed?
- A Shock absorber is represented as spring element with damping constant. Modal analysis is performed using Reduced Damped (QRDAMP) solver. How to perform a Modal super position harmonic or transient analysis further ?
- Can you output the frequency response for a total deformation?
- In the results of a modal analysis, how can I define that a frequency is an output parameter ?
- What is mass moment of inertia in Point Mass used for?
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.