Is the damping value specified by the DMPSTR command related to the value specified by the DMPRAT command in a full harmonic analysis?
Tagged: damping value, DMPSTR
June 6, 2022 at 9:58 amFAQParticipant
Yes, the DMPSTR value is equivalent to 2 times the value specifed by DMPRAT in a full harmonic analysis. See the explanation from development about why we have switched to DMPSTR for Full Harmonic: Prior to the documentation of the DMPSTR command, we *interpreted* DMPRAT as structural damping in a FULL harmonic analysis and included a factor of 2:
DMPRAT was never a “damping ratio”. When we introduced DMPSTR, it was to clearly state that this was structural damping and to make it consistent with the rest of the engineering community removed the factor of 2:
Introducing Ansys Electronics Desktop on Ansys Cloud
The Watch & Learn video article provides an overview of cloud computing from Electronics Desktop and details the product licenses and subscriptions to ANSYS Cloud Service that are...
How to Create a Reflector for a Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
This video article demonstrates how to create a reflector for a center high-mounted stop lamp. Optical Part design in Ansys SPEOS enables the design and validation of multiple...
Introducing the GEKO Turbulence Model in Ansys Fluent
The GEKO (GEneralized K-Omega) turbulence model offers a flexible, robust, general-purpose approach to RANS turbulence modeling. Introducing 2 videos: Part 1 provides background information on the model and a...
Postprocessing on Ansys EnSight
This video demonstrates exporting data from Fluent in EnSight Case Gold format, and it reviews the basic postprocessing capabilities of EnSight.
- Why is damped frequency is lower than undamped frequency with viscous damping but larger with structural damping?
- How can I specify acceleration at a node? Could I use the ‘big mass method’?
- How can I change the normalization method of the vibration modes from modal analysis?
- Why does the prestress from Static analysis does not add up to the stress in Random Vibration analysis?
- ANSYS Mechanical: Vibration Housing Noise
- A Shock absorber is represented as spring element with damping constant. Modal analysis is performed using Reduced Damped (QRDAMP) solver. How to perform a Modal super position harmonic or transient analysis further ?
- In a Modal Analysis of Mechanical, why aren’t the Participation Factors Summary under Solution Information displayed?
- Can you output the frequency response for a total deformation?
- In the results of a modal analysis, how can I define that a frequency is an output parameter ?
- What is mass moment of inertia in Point Mass used for?
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.