If a lower-order (linear) element is specified, how does Mechanical choose the appropriate element type?
Tagged: 19, mechanical, meshing, modeling-and-meshing, structural-mechanics
March 17, 2023 at 9:00 amFAQParticipant
Mechanical meshes on part-by-part basis. When a lower-order structural element is requested, the mesher asks two questions before meshing each part. 1. Will the entire part be meshed only with tetrahedral elements, and 2. Is a nonlinear material defined for any body in that part? If the answer to both of those questions is yes, then the mesher uses SOLID285 for the entire part. If the answer to either of those questions is no, then the mesher uses SOLID185 for the entire part. Also, if the entire part is meshed with only tet elements, other nonlinear option (e.g., NLAD) may also trigger the mesher to use SOLID285 rather than SOLID185. Note: Tetrahedral SOLID185 elements are not recommended, particularly for non-linear applications.
Introducing Ansys Electronics Desktop on Ansys Cloud
The Watch & Learn video article provides an overview of cloud computing from Electronics Desktop and details the product licenses and subscriptions to ANSYS Cloud Service that are...
How to Create a Reflector for a Center High-Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL)
This video article demonstrates how to create a reflector for a center high-mounted stop lamp. Optical Part design in Ansys SPEOS enables the design and validation of multiple...
Introducing the GEKO Turbulence Model in Ansys Fluent
The GEKO (GEneralized K-Omega) turbulence model offers a flexible, robust, general-purpose approach to RANS turbulence modeling. Introducing 2 videos: Part 1 provides background information on the model and a...
Postprocessing on Ansys EnSight
This video demonstrates exporting data from Fluent in EnSight Case Gold format, and it reviews the basic postprocessing capabilities of EnSight.
- Structural modeling with ANSYS Workbench Mechanical
- ANSYS Mechanical: Node Merge
- How can you identify the element types used by Mechanical?
- How do I address the DesignModeler error: “Lines do not form a closed loop”?
- How to change/assign element type in Mechanical?
- Why does Mechanical sometimes issue a warning about having wedge elements in the model?
- Generating Mesh for Finite Element Analysis in ANSYS Workbench
- How to avoid SpaceClaim session freezing or slowing down for certain operations?
- ANSYS Mechanical: What’s New in 2020 R2
- Why might a 2D axisymmetric model fail to open in Mechanical?
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.